Army Uniform Women
The Women's Army Corps ( WAC ) was the women's branch of the United States Army . It was created as an auxiliary unit, the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps ( WAAC ) on 15 May 1942 by Public Law 554,  and converted to an active duty status in the Army of the United States as the WAC on 1 July 1943. Its first director was Oveta Culp Hobby , a prominent woman in Texas society.   The WAC was disbanded in 1978, and all units were integrated with male units.