North Brother Island Abandoned
North and South Brother Islands are a pair of small islands located in New York City 's East River between the mainland Bronx and Rikers Island . North Brother Island was once the site of a hospital, but is now uninhabited and designated as a bird sanctuary.  Until 1964, South Brother Island was part of Queens County , having been incorporated into Long Island City in 1870,  but it is now part of Bronx County .  It had long been privately owned, but it was purchased by the city in 2007.